The village of Songsong on the south end of Rota. The entrance through the reef into the West Harbor is on the top right. Wedding Cake mountain or Mount Taipincot is in the background.
Orangefin anemonefish (Amphiprion chrysopterus) on the Coral Gardens.
Dusky anemonefish (Amphiprion melanopus) and a Arc-eye hawk fish (Paracirrhites arcatus) in the Coral Gardens.
Spotfin lionfish (Pterois antennata)on the Table Top dive site.
Spotfin lionfish (Pterios antennata) in the Coral Gardens.
This steam locomotive was used to transport sugar cane to the Nanyo Kohatsu Kaisha (1918 to 1944) sugar mill in Songsong village.
Fire box for the sugar mill steam boilers. The sugar mill was a military target in WW II and was bombed a number of times by aircraft from the US aircraft carrier task force.
14 mm coastal canon located on the east side of Rota. The Japanese installed two canons to protect the East Harbor.
The limestone pillars and caps were quarried by fire and primitive hand tools. Fires were started in trenches and the burned limestone removed. The process stated over again until the stones were roughed out. Mason then chipped and trimmed them into the caps and pillars. Earth was pushed under the stones to raise them to surface level and workers moved them out of the ground to be moved to construction sites.
All the stones were abandoned in the quarry. Many are cracked and sustained damaged over the years. It is a mystery why the stones were never used.